~A Tough Start~
“You’re probably not going to have a husband by the end of the weekend.” This is what the doctor told me -a 21 year old, pregnant mommy- as my husband lay fighting for his life in ICU and my 18-month old daughter was in pediatric care with an unknown illness stealing her life away. This is how our marriage and family began and today, I am so grateful for that painful experience. Both Kent & Laura survived streptococcal septicemia and we had healthy baby Anna 3 months after this hospital experience. Three years later Emily was born and she completed our little family of 5. This intense beginning laid a foundation for a life-long principal that we strive to live by: Live every day to the fullest and have fun along the way. We are not “live only for the weekend” kind of people and I think we take more risks than some who like a more settled and seemingly secure way of life.
Time for a “new” hobby
Fast forward about 20 years and, with our kids all grown up, we decided it was time to resurrect an old hobby. You may have already guessed it… motorcycles!! Once Kent was familiar with riding his Kawasaki Vulcan 800, he wanted me to ride on the back to enjoy the scenic countryside around Calgary. This was a big fear-hurdle for me to jump but I knew I wanted to spend more time with my hubby as we entered that empty-nesting stage of life so I learned how to ride on the back of the bike. I actually began to enjoy that sense of freedom and exhilaration as we rode two-up on that cute little red bike. We made some new friends and spent more time with our riding buddies. One lovely autumn day in October 2014, we were riding with a group out to Canmore, Alberta when my best friend’s bike went over the double-solid line and directly into a pick-up truck towing a loaded horse trailer. Stephanie died instantly and our lives were forever changed in that moment and during the weeks following as we dealt with the trauma of the event as well as the grief of losing someone so special. Stephanie was a joyful person filled with a zest for life, a love of others, and a sense of courage like no one else I’d ever met. It’s because of this legacy she leaves behind that I am still constantly challenged to get outside my comfort zone and try something new. This whole life-changing tragedy has also reminded us to live everyday to the fullest because, even though God knows the number of our days, we do not so let’s live out loud. Like Stephanie.
North to Alaska
- exploring new areas can be a bit scary but super rewarding
- we LOVE meeting new people
- two people on one motorcycle with 3 weeks worth of “stuff” equals a whole new level of Living Light
- we LOVE spending time together in close proximity (very close)
- eating out every day is a challenge for a celiac like Lisa
- Lisa definitely needs her own bike for future trips
- Lisa is high maintenance!
Sell the House?!
We have always welcomed the changes that happen to us when we choose to venture out of the little space we create in life that we think is safe
- March: Maybe we’re supposed to live in an RV full-time.
- April: Purge. Organize. Paint.
- May: Family trip to Disneyland then to Mexico for dental work. Run an Air BnB.
- June: Mom & Dad move their rig to Calgary for the summer and Kent goes to Peru for missions trip.
- July: Downsize. Meet with our Realtor to assess the house. Sell Kent’s motorcycle.
- August: Downsize more. Put the house on the market. Sell the 4 bedroom house. Sell Lisa’s motorcycle. Clear a boatload of debt!
- September: Downsize yet again. Move to a 2 bedroom upstairs duplex.
- October: Start a new business – Donate Your Change Canada
- November: Launch DYCC to bring an innovative funding model to Canadian charities and non-profit organizations.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Want More?We’d love to hear your stories of life taking an unexpected turn and how you used that trial to launch you forward to a new adventure. Check out our YouTube video and leave your comments there so we can follow along with your journey.
We are a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
When you place an Amazon order through this link, it helps us keep the website and YouTube channel going with informative and encouraging content and it doesn’t cost you anything extra… truly a win-win situation. Thank-you for your support.
*If you can’t see the link, please pause your adblocking extension for this website.